Collaborating with the community in support of your child's education*
There are many ways to engage in a child's education: at home, at school, and in the community. Here are some ideas for collaborating with community organizations in support of children's learning:
- Make local agencies and businesses aware of what's happening at your child's school.
- Help coordinate and participate in events that support community groups.
- Talk with employers about co-sponsoring parent meetings or parenting workshops on site.
- Encourage employers to adopt flexible work schedules and time off so that employees might attend school functions.
- Help organize and/or participate in community career, art, or health fairs.
- Recruit community members (seniors, business people) to volunteer at school.
- Serve on local community advisory councils and committees.
- Work with local authorities and public officials to sponsor community events.
- Encourage and help facilitate your child's participation in community service.
- Be a role model; be active in community service yourself or together with your child.
- - -
* This refers to any adult who serves a care-giving role in a child's life.