Sunday, January 22, 2012

::To Lead and Advocate

I have a deep understanding of and love for our schools and our community. My family made a commitment to Lexington when we moved here in 1994. My husband, Duncan and I have had two of our three children successfully complete their Lexington public school education, and continue to educate our eighth grader at Clarke Middle School.

As a seasoned advocate for children and the public school system, I hold numerous leadership roles:
  • Chair of the School Committee
  • President of the Massachusetts PTA (2010-2012);
  • Chair of MassPartners for Public Schools, a coalition of the six statewide education associations and the PTA;
  • I was tapped to serve on DESE's Educator Evaluation Task Force last year and served on Governor Patrick's Readiness Project, Whole Child Subcommittee before that.
As a member of the School Committee, I have kept the education of our children the centerpiece of all decisions, balanced by the realities of school and Town resources, and tempered by productive and civil discourse.  I will continue to take on the Schools Committee's highest tasks: to enact wise policy, shape educationally sound, community conscious budgets, and advocate for what our students and schools need most.  I ask for your vote on Tuesday, March 6, 2012.