Sunday, December 18, 2011

::Running for Re-election

As a long-time advocate and activist for public education, I enthusiastically announce my candidacy for re-election to the School Committee. It is critical that our children continue to be educated to meet future challenges. I have worked strategically and collaboratively in this regard over the past three years and seek your support in continuing that important work.

Lexington’s public schools are the pride of our community, a key component of our quality of life, and why so many of us choose to live here. Yet, as we prepare to enter 2012, state and federal fiscal austerity measures have resulted in budget uncertainty. If re-elected, I will continue to engage a broad constituency, advocating for what our schools and students need. I will continue to listen and understand diverse perspectives and work collaboratively to find positive solutions. I am eager to continue to both exercise the skills I’ve developed as a School Committee member, and continue to bring my broad knowledge of issues advocacy, policy and budgeting from my work at the state level to bear on the work ahead for Lexington.

As a leader and champion of our schools, I am proud of my contributions. As part of an engaged community committed to excellent schools, I remain committed to raising achievement for all students to ensure each is prepared with the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary for college, career, and social and civic success.

I invite you to peruse my website (www.maryannforschoolcommittee.com), visit my Facebook campaign page, and to follow me on twitter (@mascipioni) for information about me, the campaign, and how you can become involved. I enjoy this work and it is a privilege to serve the Lexington community as a member of the School Committee. I am also up for re-election as a Town Meeting Member this year. If you live in Precinct 1, I would be grateful for one of your Town Meeting Member votes. I ask for your vote on Tuesday, March 6, 2012.